It has just been over a year has gone by since we opened the doors for the first time at Destination Balcary to welcome guests. A year on, we have now had a chance to take breath and look back at our first year and assess our guest’s reaction and their kind reviews of their stay at the Farmhouse.
100% of Our Guests Recommend Destination Balcary
We are delighted to say that we have achieved an incredible ‘5.0 out of 5.0 Ratings from 25 Guest Reviews’ and 100% of guests recommend Destination Balcary. Not bad for our first year, now we have to keep those standards up and keep our guests happy and coming back.
So what did our guests say after their stay?
Here a few of the review ‘headlines’ and there seems to be a common theme:
- ‘Stunning farmhouse in a stunning location’
- ‘A panoramic paradise on the Scottish coast’
- ‘Fabulous property with wonderful views’
- ‘Peaceful, Away from it all’
- ‘Absolutely fabulous!’
- ‘Wonderful house in a stunning location’
So what was it that our guests loved?
‘Amazing views especially from the conservatory’ – The views from the conservatory stood out as the absolute leading highlight for our guests and was mentioned in the majority of our reviews.
This was followed closely by the ‘peaceful & stunning location’ of the Farmhouse. Other key guest highlights include the ‘great local walks’, the ‘local wildlife’, that the cottage is spotlessly clean with such great attention to detail and the ‘homemade cakes’ get quite a few mentions! Victoria Sponge, Victoria Sandwich Cake & Lemon Drizzle Cake getting special recognition.
What do our Guests Recommend? Where to go? Things to do?
Here is a short selection of what some of our guests mentioned as to what they enjoyed, experienced and recommended.
- The nearby Auchencairn Village Shop is great – excellent pizza and curry nights.
- The coastal walk, the cliff paths and down to Rascarrel Bay
- Fabulous food at Mr Pooks Kitchen in Castle Douglas
- ‘Gather’ Bistro above Mossyard Bay which has stunning views
- The walk around the cliffs and back via Loch Mackie make a great circular route
- My highlight was walking across to Heston Island, my tip is check the tide times!
This Our Guests Say about Destination Balcary
We can try and relate to our what it is like here at Destination Balcary but maybe it is better to let those who have experienced first hand to share their experiences. These really help bring it all to life. Here are a few excerpts and comments taken from a number of the guest reviews we have been so lucky to have received over the 1st year. Sorry we could not include them all but all our guest reviews can be viewed here in full and our responses.
The Views are Phenomonal, Peaceful & Quiet
- ‘Coming back in the evenings and sitting in the conservatory with a cup of tea and enjoying the wonderful view was my favourite part of the day.’
- ‘In particular the views from the conservatory, where, whatever the weather, we spent a lot of our time admiring the scenery and watching the wildlife’
- ‘The views are phenomenal and the farmhouse is so comfortable’
- ‘Beautiful place to relax on our honeymoon for few days, unreal views, lovely town & places to visit’
- ‘Fantastic, very spacious, comfortable and spotless cottage with amazing views, so peaceful and quiet, lovely to be able to watch the sea and the animals from the windows. Amazing views especially from the conservatory’
- ‘I have been to many cottages in my lifetime and this beats them all. Stunning farmhouse in a stunning location with spectacular views’
- ‘Beautiful dark sky area and sea views’
- ‘The location is stunning with total peace and quiet and beautiful ever changing views of sea and sky. My daughter and I loved walking our dog down the track to the beach everyday and meeting your lovely cows’
- ‘’Destination Balcary has the most amazing views. We enjoyed doing the coastal walk. The Farmhouse is spacious, spotlessly clean and the kitchen was well stocked. We would go back in a heartbeat’
- ‘There are stunning views from the conservatory and you could quite happily sit in there all day’
Lovely Local Walks, Landcsapes to Explore & the Wildlife
- ‘Great walks from the area and unbelievable views’
- ‘It’s a lovely area for exploring, the coastline between Kippford and Rockcliffe/Castle Point spectacular as is the coast walk from the farmhouse to Rascarrel Bay. Kirkcudbright’s always a pleasure to visit’
- ‘The setting is perfect to relax with plenty of landscapes to explore’
- ‘Off the beaten track but ideal for getting away from it all. Plenty of local walks’
- ‘The house is overlooking the Solway Firth and the views especially from the conservatory are spectacular, looking along the coast to Southerness Point and over the Firth to the Lake District. If you are looking to get away from it all this cottage should definitely be on your short list’
- ‘The wildlife in & around The Farmhouse spotted were a hedgehog, roe deer, hares & porpoises’
- ‘Great local walks. Great views from the conservatory to watch whatever the British weather threw at us!‘
- ‘The property affords marvellous views across Balcary Bay with the option of walks along the cliff paths and down to Rascarrel Bay, a paradise for humans and their dogs’
- ‘The discount for a 2 person booking was key in making a stay at the Farmhouse a viable option for us’
- ‘There were some lovely walks nearby and beautiful sea views from the conservatory’
Our Very Latest Guest Review in Full
5/5 – ‘A panoramic paradise on the Scottish coast’
Review submitted on Wed, 13 Sep 2023
‘Destination Balcary is exactly that – a wonderfully peaceful and spacious, beautifully renovated farmhouse situated above the Rockcliffe and Kippford coast with views inland and towards the Cumberland coast and fells. We found it hard to move out of the conservatory and that view. It’s convenient not only for beaches but 7 stanes mountain biking and market towns both local and further afield. Nearby the Auchencairn Village Shop is great – excellent pizza and curry nights.’
We thank all our lovely guests for visiting our Farmhouse at Destination Balcary and their wonderful kind comments and reviews of their stay. We look forward to welcoming new guests who can also find out what delights can be found here in this special corner of South West Scotland. Come up and see us and enjoy a homemade cake and marvel at the views. Get outside and explore the beauty of the coastline too. See you soon!
- The Farmhouse at Destination Balcary
- Pet Friendly at Destination Balcary
- Destination Balcary – Awarded Scottish Tourist Board 4* Self Catering Rating
- Great Coastal Pub Walks in Scotland – ‘Balcary Bay and Rascarrel’